9.02.2006

where does this road lead?

I have been thinking a lot lately about my career and what exactly it is that I am doing with Best Buy. Next month, I will celebrate my seven year anniversary with the company. I have obviously decided to make a career out of this, but doing what? I don't know.

I started in 1999, as a part-time cashier and worked my way up through various Customer Service/Operations and Administrative positions. It was a little over two years ago that brought me to my first big fork in the road. I had been in the same Administrative role in the store for almost four years (the same store I was hired in), was very unhappy with my Management staff and would come home crying almost every day. I needed to get out of there - I needed a change. I had mastered my role, trained numerous people as my replacement, but I was doing the same. thing. every day.

Keri and I had just decided to relocate up to Northern California and transfer stores. We even made a trip up there to meet our new Management and check out the place we would soon call home. Less than two days after we got back, I was informed of a District position opening up that I wanted so bad. Chances were pretty good that I would get the job. If I wanted it.

After a week of serious thought and consideration, I decided it would be best not to move and to apply for the promotion here. Looking back, I think a lot of my decision was based on the fact that I was so scared to move. Keri and I had never moved out of North San Diego County. After 24 years, it was terrifying to think about just up and starting new.

I made the right decision. Less than a week later, I accepted the position of District Assistant, covering the San Diego and Hawaii market. I'm not sure I had ever been happier. It was then I realized this was going to be my career. Best Buy for life!

Over the past two years, I have learned more about my role, my company, politics within the company, and about myself - than in my entire career. I've even gone from knowing not-a-damn-thing about Excel to being quite the Excel whiz. But I've discovered that I might not want to do this forever. You have to understand that, in my position, there isn't really anywhere to get promoted to. I could go up to the Territory or Executive level, but I'm thinking I don't really want to. I need something new. Something exciting. Something challenging.

But what is it that I want to do? I don't even know what's out there. Obviously, I want to stay with the company. I have been so blessed working for them. I have grown up with Best Buy. It is with them that I have developed my strengths and discovered my weaknesses. I have made friendships and built networks that will last me the rest of my life. I just feel like there is something out there waiting for me - perfect for me. Something I may not even know exists. And who knows, I may realize that the Administrative field is where I want to stay. But I want that option.

I see another fork coming up in the road. It's off in the distance, but I can see it approaching. I have no idea where it will lead me, but I can only imagine it will bring better things. New things.

1 comment:

Suzi said...

You remind me of myself with the T-A. I expected to work there till I retired. 25 years later, they dumped me. I hope that doesn't happen to you, but it never hurts to keep your options open!

Best Buy sure has been good to you!!!