12.07.2006

makin' a list ... checkin' it twice

In honor of my Moma's birthday today... drumroll please... my first list! And what better subject to base my first list on... my Moma!!!


So today folks you find out why I have the best Mother on the planet:

1. No matter how bad things were, she made sure I always had a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food on the table. ALWAYS.

2. She went through hell to get me my most treasured possession - my Cabbage Patch Kid, Lucie Jane.

3. She allowed me to form my own opinions on music at a very early age. As I got older, even though she didn't necessarily like what I liked, she allowed me to listen to the music that made me happy. And listen to it LOUD.

4. And while I'm on the subject... She took me to my very first concert, on my ninth birthday - Bon Jovi and Skid Row. Still one of the happiest birthdays of my life.

5. She empowered me to be an independent young woman. And showed me, by example, that I could stand on my own to feet.

6. She always let me choose my own friends and learn on my own to separate my REAL friends from those I thought were my friends.

7. She has always encouraged me to be ME. Even from a young age... do my make-up the way I wanted, have my hair style the way I wanted, dress the way I wanted. Don't get me wrong, she didn't always like it, but she always let me learn on my own.

8. She always listens to me. It may not be anything she is interested in or I may be rambling about nothing at all, but I know she will always listen to me if I need to talk. Even when I call twice a day, every day.

9. She has always reminded me that no matter how crappy my Dad made me feel, he does love me and always will.

10. She got it right the second time around. Marrying Bret and bringing him into my life has been such a blessing. He has become the Dad I always wanted. And that means more than I could ever express.


I, honestly, couldn't have asked for a better Mother. She raised me well and I hope that someday I will be at least half the Mother she has been to me.

I love you, Moma! Happy Birthday! xoxo

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Oh, sweetie! This REALLY made me cry with happiness. Absolutely the BEST birthday present of all!!!

I love you very, very much and am so glad you appreciate me.

Love you, my baby girl!!!

Cassandra Corbett said...

Made me cry too and I don't even know you or your mom. She sounds just the sort of mother I've tried to be with my kids. Only they could tell you if I came close. Happy Birthday Jewli's Mom!